Friday, September 30, 2011

Santa Margarita grounds-and-pounds Los Alamitos


“I think we were waiting for the game to be over,” Santa Margarita head coach Harry Welch said. “I love my team, but I’m not an exceptionally proud father right now.”

“We made mistakes that we normally don’t make. I’m not very happy.”

Santa Margarita won this game 38-27 by the way.

The Eagles led by as many as 24 points after a Ryan Wolpin touchdown run in the 4th quarter, but that’s when things changed for the stars of the “Tough Knocks” show.

Los Alamitos marched down the field and scored on a 7-yard Cody Paul touchdown run, and after Eagles quarterback Johnny Stanton fumbled the ball away to the Griffins, Los Al QB Dylan Lagarde threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to Kyle Roberts.

It was a sloppy fourth quarter from the No. 3 ranked team in the county.

“We made a lot of mistakes,” running back Ryan Wolpin said. “We didn’t fully have it together in the second half, but we basically squeezed by.”

“Out second half wasn’t great,” quarterback Johnny Stanton said. “My fourth quarter wasn’t good at all. I had two fumbles and it almost cost us the game.”

Santa Margarita finishes off a perfect non-league schedule going 5-0. The Eagles enter a bye week, before visiting Mater Dei to kick off Trinity league play.

No comments: