Friday, July 29, 2011

Extreme pogo sticking invades OC Fair



The 8th annual world championships of extreme pogo, otherwise known as 'Pogopalooza,' thrilled fans at the Action Sports Arena of the OC Fair.

Daniel Mahoney, 18, dazzled fair goers with his wide array of back flips and 360 maneuvers.

"My little sister got a pogo stick for her birthday," said Mahoney. "My older brother and I hijacked it and brought it into the back yard. After learning how to jump a couple thousand times, you get bored after awhile, so the next step was to try some tricks."

Fred Grzybowski, 22, recently broke two world records, including breaking his own pogo sticking record for most consecutive backflips in a row, with 11.

"It was pretty crazy," said Grzybowski. "We had a good crowd that pumped me up. Everyone was cheering along, and I couldn't have done it without the audience."

A world champion will be crowned in the final stage of competition tomorrow night.

No comments: