Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Maddux Part Deux


Future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux is a Dodger once more. Wow, I need somebody to sit me down, slap me, and take me back to 2006, because I think I'm having a case of deja vu here. It's okay, it's a good feeling though, and I think the Dodgers and I are going to be alright.

Word came out late Monday that the Dodgers have re-acquired Greg Maddux, and while I was excited about him being back in Dodger blue, I was hesitant at the same time. You see, I have absolutely no faith in "Dead Head" Ned Colletti as general manager. I thought for sure that he had to have traded one of our outstanding young players to acquire him. I mean he got away with the Manny deal, and the Casey Blake one, but three in a row...wow I think I might have to give the guy some props!

Ned Colletti has done everything in his power to keep this team in the race. He has solidified 3rd base with Casey Blake. He has turned the whole lineup around by bringing in Manny Ramirez, and we have all seen how his hitting has inspired his teammates to play better. Finally, he pulls the trigger on the old gunslinger Greg Maddux and brings him back to anchor a young rotation that is eager and willing to heed his advice.

He will join Dodgers ace Chad Billingsley, World Champion Derek Lowe, Japanese import Hiroki Kuroda, and the young flame-throwing lefty Clayton Kershaw. This makes the Dodgers five-deep and with a very reliable bullpen, with the prospect of Saito making a comeback soon, things are looking up at the Ravine.

Maddux is having a good year with the Padres. Do not take his record as an indication of his success (6-9) because the San Diego Padres offense has been microscopic this season. He has a good ERA of 3.99, and will not only help the Dodgers with his arm, but with his mind as well.

The term "crafty lefty" has been tossed around baseball circles since Babe Ruth was knocking 'em out of the park on hot dogs and beer, but "crafty" is a term that can be very well applied to Greg Maddux. He has always been a pitcher that has not relied on his speed, but rather his smarts to succeed. Maddux has sniper accuracy in the strike zone, and Clayton Kershaw is excited to learn from the best.

From Dodgers.com:

"If he does get to come, I definitely would ask him as many questions as I can," Kershaw said. "Hopefully he likes answering questions, because I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of that.

"He obviously has a lot to teach. He's been out there so long. He knows a lot more about the game than I do right now, so I'm definitely going to just try to listen to him, pick his brain."

The last time Maddux was with the Dodgers, he took them into the playoffs in 2006. In my opinion, the team as situated now, is a better team that won the Wild Card two years ago. With Brad Penny on the DL, this move couldn't have came at a better time. Especially, since future Dodger James McDonald struggled when Colletti paid a visit to watch in person in Vegas.

The Dodgers will share some of the remaining salary on Maddux's contract with the Padres (about 2.3 million) and pitch in two players to be named later or cash considerations.

Hey Ned Colletti...not bad, not bad at all.

Thanks For Finally Spending My Money Wisely Ya Jackass!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could'nt agree with you more.This is a major move for the Dodgers.He is a perfect replacement for Penny. GO DODGERS.

Anonymous said...

While I love the move, it doesn't excuse Colletti's terrible moves that have really tied the franchise down. Maddux told the Padres the only team he would be willing to be traded to was the Dodgers because of his home in Orange County. Like the Manny deal, where McCourt did all the work and it fell right on Colletti's lap, don't pay Colletti's back too much on this. Unless we make a world series, he needs to be fired. Don't forget Colletti is the bum who let Maddux go in favor of signing a more expensive Jason Shit. Nonetheless, this is great for the team - especially Clayton Kershaw. Go Blue!

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to watch him in action with the new look Dodgers. I really dont know how he will take Joe Torre's managing because I've heard joe likes to over work his Pitchers.
Oh yeah and isnt he like 42 he doesnt have much ime left.
Or does he?

Anonymous said...

Yalla. You know how he do. Some way some how, Joey "The Bull" Torre is convincing the Dodgers to pay capital gains like he did in The Big Apple. And I have a feeling if they do well in the post season sometime there after a younger fish is gonna get hooked. If you win they will come.

Anonymous said...

While i like the trade I am weary that this may be another case of "a little too late". In which we sign another player who once was great (andru jones, jason shmit, etc.) and they faulter under pressure. Im all for the trade but I hope we got a pitcher that still has the heat, not the left over product of last nights dinner.

Anonymous said...

This is a big move for the Dodgers, especially since Penny has not been playing up to his hype and potential. Maddux has the experience and knowledge of the game to help us get into the playoffs.